Monday, January 25, 2010

Brennan's Birth Story

Wednesday, January 20, 2010; Approximately midnight:

After a long night of waiting and watching the clock, we went to the hospital. As directed, we entered at the emergency entrance and explained that we were there for an induction. The four employees working at the desk looked confused...I unzipped my fleece coat to show my belly stretching the shirt I was wearing. This pregnancy wouldn't be complete without a comment about my apparently small size at the hospital, I suppose! We checked in and I was wheeled upstairs to the maternity floor. Here we go!

After we got situation in our room, the nurse explained Cytotec, the medical intervention I would be receiving. I was hooked up to two monitors, one to detect contractions and a fetal heart monitor. Before I could receive the drug, I had to pass a contraction test to make sure I wasn't having too many contractions within a certain time period. Finally, at 1:20am, I was given a 1/4 tablet of Cytotec. Sleep was rare that evening...being in a new place, sounds of monitors, monitor alarms going off, and the excitement of what was to come!

Thursday, January 21, 2010:

4:30am: I buzzed the nurse into our room to detach me from the monitors so I could use the restroom (which was obnoxious, by the way!). I was beginning to feel slight cramping and noticed other signs that labor was on it's way! Woohoo!

7:ooam: Dr. Bruner, our OB, came for his first visit. No dilation, but Brennan was in the anterior position. My cramping and contractions continued, so he chose not to give me another dose of Cytotec.

9:15am: To help move things along, Adam and I took our first of two walks around the Post-partum section of the maternity floor. We also spent our time watching tv, playing card games, and chatting.

10:15am: Dr. Bruner came back for another check. I was 1-2 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced. He explained that he'd like to break my water later in the day to help keep things moving.

1:00pm: 2 centimeters dilated and 70% effaced. Dr. Bruner broke my water, which was clear in color. My contractions were getting stronger. Sitting up in bed and rocking back and forth helped the most. After my water was broken, the intensity of the contractions continued to increase.

1:15pm: My blood was drawn and I was given an IV for fluids. The first IV attempt failed, which didn't make my contractions any more pleasant.

2:40pm: Dr. Bruner asked about my pain level and we discussed an epidural. I was afraid to get it too early, fearing that it would either not last long enough or slow things down. I was assured that it would last as long as needed. We decided to wait for a bit before we made our decision.

2:41pm: Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

3:10pm: 2 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced. Contractions are very intense. Want.Epidural.Now. The Nurse Anesthesist is called to bring the goods. Adam's mother and step father arrived. Unfortunately, I wasn't the greatest host and could barely say hello.

3:40pm: Epidural was in and working. The process was intense, with several contractions occurring in the time it took to get everything in place. I was also set up for Pitocin.

4:40pm: I love epidurals. Adam described me as a new person, able to hold a conversation and no longer a shade of bright red. I was still able to move my legs/toes, etc. but wasn't able to feel the contractions at all. I was 4 centimeters dilated. Time was spent visiting with Adam's mom and step dad and resting.

5:30pm: 6 centimeters dilated. My Pitocin was increased every 15 minutes. I was able to feel more pressure, which was becoming uncomfortable. I was told that they can increase the epidural, if I would like. The next time my Pitocin was increased, my pain meds were increased, too.

6:00ish pm: Despite increasing the epidural, I was continuing to feel pressure during my contractions, which were very close together. Adam found my nurse, who checked my progress. I was 8-9 centimeters dilated. The pressure continued and contractions were nearly on top of each other. Adam got the nurse again, who found Dr. Bruner.

6:20ish pm: Dr Bruner entered with a team of medical staff, including nurses and medical students. I was prepped for delivery. Dr. Bruner even let me have "One last hit" of my chapstick...referring to an earlier comment about how easy it is to be addicted. I accepted.

6:43pm: I've pushed 3-4 times during each contraction, resting in between. After his nose and mouth are cleaned out, I was directed to pull him out and lay him on my chest (with help from the doctor, of course). He's here!! Comments ensued about his hair and weight. It's love at first glance for Adam and me. Welcome to the world, Brennan Lee Swartz!


It was a wonderful and incredible experience. Sure, it wasn't easy, but it's called "labor" for a reason! The medical staff was great and I felt well taken care of. I even thanked Dr. Bruner shortly after Brennan was born for living up to his wonderful reputation. Adam was an incredible and invaluable "support person." He knew what I needed even before I did and would fetch me ice chips, flag down a nurse, massage my back, and speak words of encouragement without hesitation. And, best of all, we brought our precious son into the world!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful account of a wonderful birth! I can't believe you only had to push for 20 minutes for your first baby!!

    ReplyDelete