Friday, June 27, 2014

Little Miss Gymnast

Mommy had her 39 week OB appointment today.  We were planning to schedule an induction the following Monday at 39 weeks, 5 days.  The night before the appointment, I felt something hard just above my left hip and found it odd.  I tried not to worry about it and wait for my appointment.

Just prior to my cervical check, the OB and I were joking that I likely hadn't made any progress.  While completing the check, the OB states, "Oh, golly.  That's a hand."  A hand?!  Despite being the last patient of the day, the OB snuck me for an ultrasound to check on her position and we saw this:





Buckeye's feet (crossed at her ankles) and hands where her head should be! 

We discussed options and decided that we would try to flip her on Monday morning and, if successful, I would be induced immediately.  If it was unsuccessful, we could proceed with a c-section or wait a week to see what she did on her own.  The OB was optimistic that Buckeye could be flipped because she was "moveable" and there was a lot of fluid around her, but still only gave her a 30-35% chance of flipping.  Her estimated weight based on ultrasound measurements, 9 lb 8 oz, would work against us.  The ultrasound technician gave another disclaimer that the weight was likely an overestimate due to Buckeye being in a transverse position. The OB suggested that I spent time on my knees and elbows over the weekend several times a day in attempt to get Buckeye to correctly position herself. 




No comments:

Post a Comment