Thursday, July 3, 2014

Abigail's Birth Story

After hearing the status of Abigail's position, just days before our likely induction, we did everything we could to get her to flip -- prayers, giving her words of encouragement, and several sessions of Mommy on her knees and elbows.  I tried to analyze her position.  She felt more vertical, and we hoped that her head was down rather than her bottom!  Not knowing what the day would hold, I was very anxious as we left the boys and Grandma and Grandpa Mealy and took off for the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital just before 6am, registered and headed up to the Labor and Delivery Unit.  I was previously told that I could have a numbing cream for my IV by the OB's nurse, but was told otherwise by the L&D nurse.  Due to my high anxiety and previous unfavorable experiences with IVs, I got a little emotional and then felt silly for getting teary-eyed over it!  The nurses were wonderful, though.  One nurse took a close look at my veins and confirmed that they are, as previously described, "valvely", making IVs difficult to insert.  She got the nurse anesthetist, who was able to insert the IV successfully on the first attempt!  I also have my blood drawn for labs.

6:50am: Dr. Rinkes, my OB, and Dr. Bunner, another OB who delivered Brennan, came to check on Abigail's position via an ultrasound.  Dr. Brunner was there for assistance with the inversion, should Abigail not be in the head down position.  Through feeling my belly, Dr. Rinkes explains that there is "something hard" at the bottom of my stomach.  As she starts the ultrasound, she immediately determines that it's Abby's head!  She's head down!  What a relief!  I'm also 2-3cm dilated and 50% effaced.  Not only is Abigail head down, but I'm making progress on my own!  She explains that I won't need a "ripening agent" for my cervix, but she wants to start with the induction quickly and would like me to stay in bed to decrease the likelihood that our little acrobat will change her position.  My anxiety level is much lower now!

7:30am: Pitocin is administered.

8:00am: Dr. Rinkes breaks my water.  There is a lot of fluid and "light meconium."  I'm 3cm dilated.

9:45am: 3cm dilated, 60% effaced.   I'm starting to feel some of the contractions, but they are manageable.  Time is spent resting, chatting and playing games with Adam, and catching up on daytime television.  My Pitocin is increased frequently, eventually being put at it's maximum dosage.

2:15pm: 4cm dilated, 70% effaced.  Contractions are getting stronger, consistent, and closer together.  Dr. Rinkes explains that she and the nurse anesthetist are heading into a c-section.

2:45pm: Contractions are getting much stronger.  Adam asks the nurse how long the nurse anesthetist will be unavailable.  It was predicted that he should be available for my epidural in about 30 minutes.  I turn down the option of getting Nubane via my IV due to hearing others' negative experiences with the medication.  Contractions continue to intensify.  Ensue much moaning and grimacing from me, and many reminders to breathe from Adam.

3:45pm: Epidural is administered.  The nurse had prepped me as much as possible so the nurse anesthetist could begin as soon as he was available.  The effects kick in quickly, although I'm able to feel some pressure on the underside of my stomach.  It was explained that they don't medicate for the pressure.  The discomfort intensifies quickly and turns into more sharp pain than pressure.  Moaning and breathing reminders return.  The L&D nurse contacts the nurse anesthetist about my condition.

5:00: I'm give an extra dose of medication through my IV for the pain.  The nurse anesthetist explains that it will make me "very numb" for awhile.  6cm dilated, 80% effaced.

5:40ish: Dr. Rinkes checks on my progress again.  She quickly responds: "Oh!  Are you ready to have a baby?!"  She brings in the delivery materials and preps me for delivery.  I'm feeling some pressure again on a small section of the underside of my stomach with each contraction, but it's very tolerable.  I have very little control over my numb, heavy-feeling legs.  The nurse takes my dinner order, fearing that I may still be pushing when the cafeteria closes at 6:30.  I joke with her that I'm quick when it comes to pushing out babies! With my first push, the doctor exclaims "Whoa!"regarding how much she moves, including turning from a posterior position, and there are many comments about her hair. I push for 2 contractions and then...

5:59pm: Happy Birthday, Abigail Lily!  I help pull her out and lay her on my chest.  She's absolutely beautiful!  She is cleaned up and assessed and looks perfect!  Her Apgar scores are 9 and 9.  She weighs 8 lb, 7 oz and is 21 inches long.  Abby is brought to me for skin-to-skin and her first nursing session.  Adam and I fall in love with her immediately!


We stayed in the L&D and delivery room for several hours, as I have very little control of my legs due to the extra dose of pain medication.  Grandma and Grandpa Mealy come to visit and meet their newest grandchild.  Abigail loves to snuggle and nurses for a very long time.  At 11:00pm, I attempt, with the nurses' assistance to stand and walk as I'm growing impatient to have control of my right leg.  I'm very wobbly, but they let us move to the post-pardum unit with specific instructions that I cannot get out of bed without a nurse's assistance.  Abigail is given her bath and we settle in for the night.  She is amazing!



The meaning of Abigail's name:
Naming a child is no easy task!  We've fallen in love with Abigail's name and the meanings behind it:

~Mommy shares her initials with her Daddy.  Abigail also shares her initials with her Daddy
~Grandma Mealy's name, Susan, means Lily
~Abigail means "father's joy"
~We like "Abigail" and it's shortened version, "Abby" although there was some discussion over the spelling of her nickname

No comments:

Post a Comment